Our goals for the future
Climate change is having a major impact on our planet. That is why the Liberal Democrats on Cheltenham Borough Council have led the way locally by declaring a 'Climate Emergency' and set the ambitious goal of becoming a net zero carbon council and borough by 2030.
To help reach this target, we have:
- We have adopted a detailed Climate Emergency Action Plan.
- We have launched the £10million Cheltenham Green Deal investment fund for green projects.
- We have started the development of our first carbon neutral council houses.
- We have consulted on tough new pro-environment planning rules to get better results from developers, ahead of the adoption of a new Climate Change Supplementary Planning Document.
- We have funded and setup the Cheltenham Zero Partnership with Vision 21 to bring together the businesses, charities and the public sector.
- We have awarded Cheltenham Zero Community Grants worth £50,000.
- We have introduced more wildflower meadows
- We have planted hundreds of trees, including in memory of Covid heroes.
- We have officially called for an end to the dumping of sewage in the River Chelt.
Now our plans for the future include:
- Delivering projects to move towards net zero using the Cheltenham Green Deal funding.
- Building more low-carbon council homes.
- Developing an EV charging hub.
- Building the Cheltenham Zero partnership with Vision 21.
- Introducing a new town-wide air quality plan.
- Ensuring the Golden Valley development is built on green principles.
- Supporting Planet Cheltenham’s public engagement programmes.
- Lobbying the County Council to adopt more green transport schemes, including new cycle paths.
- Taking on the maintenance of the extended Honeybourne Line.
- Using our new planning rules to get a better deal from developers.
To find out more follow the links in the drop-down menu or click below: